Sunday, October 7, 2012

Salutations Sunday with The Recoverie

Please join me in saying howdy to Dani and her Etsy shop The Recoverie for my Salutations Sunday feature!




The printing process is quite extensive, and no two pieces will be exactly alike. I hand carve all my original designs, and custom mix all my inks. Now let's discover Dani's creative story...


Rose Linoleum Block Print Linen Pillow Case "Lotus"
What is your first creative memory?

Making daisy chain bracelets in a park with my mom while on a field trip in elementary school. Making sculptures out of wet sand, sticks,shells, and seaweed at the beach. Watching her sew my ballet rose petal skirt and crown for my big ballet debut. Too many to even name. I was lucky to come from good artistic genes and people constantly encouraging and supporting my creativity. I don't think I would have pursued the art field otherwise!


What or whom began your creative journey on Etsy?
I found Etsy a few years ago shopping online. At first I just thought it was cool, but then began to realize how far it stretched, and what that could mean for me. After I moved to San Francisco and started selling at local shows, people kept asking if I had an Etsy shop I could direct them too. The next few months I stopped doing shows and set up my site, and now I'm up and running.

How did you come up with your shop name?

I wanted the name to reflect a general meaning for old things becoming new again, and given a new life. The name "Recoverie" also ended up lending itself well to the reupholstering aspect of my shop too. 

Teal and Coral Lime Burst Block Prints


Describe the creations in your shop

I started out selling 8 x 10 prints of my simple designs and small found home accessories. I have now expanded to soft home goods like pillow covers and dish towels printed with original patterns, and small furniture that I refinish and reupholster. I really enjoy creating the designs and applying them in a functional way.

What inspires you?

I am completely inspired by the architecture in San Francisco where I live. Most of my textile designs started after seeing a certain shape on a building and building off of that. I also love Art Deco and especially Art Nouveau shapes. 

Multi Color Block Print Napkins - Set of 4
What do you listen to or watch while creating?

Any kind of music. TV and movies distract me, but if you plug me in at a coffee shop with headphones and a good chai tea, I'm a machine.

Please share a favorite recipe

Cheesecake Truffle Bombs

 24 -32 truffles

For the Cake-Truffles


* 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
 * 3/4 cup sugar
 * 3 large eggs
 * 2 teaspoons vanilla
 * 1/3 cup whipping cream
 * 1 pinch salt 

For the Dipping

 * 12 ounces milk chocolate, melted
 * 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted 



Directions



1. Preheat oven to 350. Line an 8- or 9-inch square pan with parchment paper; spray with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.

2. In blender: mix the cake ingredients until smooth, pour into prepared pan.

3. Bake until set (about 30 minutes); cake should be firm, but not dried or curling around the edges; cool in fridge.

4. While the cake is chilling, line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.

5. Cut cake into 24 or 32 small squares; place on lined baking sheet; freeze for 1-2 hours.

6. Near the end of the freezing time, melt dipping chocolates (SEPARATELY).


7. TO FINISH: Using a fork dip each square in the melted chocolate on all sides; set on parchment lined baking sheet until set. These can be dipped in another chocolate or drizzled with white chocolate (optional).

8. Freeze briefly to set.

9. Transfer to small confectionary paper cups (optional).

10. Seal truffles in a zip-top freezer bag for up to two months.

11. Serve frozen or slightly thawed.

Where else can we find you?

Facebook

I'm hoping to get my site, www.recoverie.com up and running by the end of this year, otherwise I have been selling at a lot of local San Francisco shows such as the Indie Mart. Updates and information about my shows can be found in my Etsy shop announcements.

Framed Fabric - Brown Linoleum Print "King and Queen"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, your "howdy's" and "hello's"...thank you for following and I appreciate your comments.