Sunday, July 22, 2012

Salutations Sunday with Mind of Ash

Please shout out your salutations for Ashley and her Etsy shop Mind of Ash (Aloha would be a fitting salutation here because Ashley is from Hawaii!!!)




Ashley will send essences of her home state of the Hawaii seashores to you with her creations!

She has also offered a discount for my readers! If you mention this blog post in your checkout notes on ETSY-or like her on facebook  and mention this blog post; you will recieve a 15% discount on your entire order, which will be refunded after you purchase.

Hawaiin puka shell and fresh water pearl necklace
What is the first creative memory you have?

I remember myself as a pretty energetic creative little girl, always climbing trees, imaging dreamworlds as I sang songs, and created something out of, well, nothing. I do remember one summer staying with my grandparents and my Grandma getting out a little canvas for me and my little sister and letting us pick out a picture and have some fun painting and getting messy, which is a great first memory of creativity and artistic expression.

What or whom began your creative journey on Etsy?

Circumstances sometimes cause you to search for new options and a new path in life, so when health problems began to make a change in my ability to work full time, I started to create jewelry and paint silk scarves with my mom who was already successful with her talent. I knew of Etsy from friends, and having browsed the site myself it looked like a cool place to meet other artists and get inspired, and of course use it as a marketplace for people out there to find me as well.


How did you come up with your shop name?


MindofAsh came about because I didn't want to confine myself to one art form, or one media, I at first was interested in collage, multi-media, different dying methods with silks, and paper art, card making, even wood working. SO...I decided to call it "Mind of Ash" so that I could express whatever creativity came out of my mind, and into my hands eventually ending up in someone else's life as a part of my mind...It has also had double meanings with others who think it means the other ash: the end result that comes from fire...which is a cool way to look at it too.


Mini seashell and root beer glass bobby pins


Describe what creations you have in your shop


Right now I have mostly Puka Shell beaded earrings and necklaces, all of which are hand picked from the beaches of my island home here in Hawaii, Lana'i. Each is completely unique and gives every piece a natural one of a kind feel that cant be completely duplicated. I also make many glass beaded bracelets and necklace earring matching sets.I like to stay colorful and unique as much as possible.

What insprires you?

Having always lived in a naturally rich environment surrounded by turquoise ocean at the coast and forested valleys and mountains, I find inspiration by colors and natural materials I find such as shells, sea glass and vivid sunsets and flowers I am fortunate to live with every day.


Rainbow colored seed bead hoop earrings
What do you listen to or watch while creating?


I gotta say that I find classical music or instrumentals very thought provoking, Philip Glass and the amazing singer songwriter harpist, Joanna Newsom is very helpful in transporting me to that creative place...just to name a couple.





Please share a favorite recipe

I like to make Mung Bean salad as a healthy, fresh protein rich go to meal.

Boil Green Mug Beans -unpeeled, non-split (quantity depends on how much salad you want and for how long haha)

Boil first for 10 minutes, then boil new water again, and boil again for 7 minutes

Drain, let cool, checking that texture is still slightly firm, but not hard that you cant chew it .

Add whatever flavoring ingredients you want depending on your taste.

I always add free minced garlic, chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, cilantro, or basil, red and yellow bell peppers, and maybe canned salmon, tuna, or your own seasoned chicken breast.

Top with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, or your favorite salad dressing. And just let those flavors mingle.....

Very nutrient rich, fresh, summery, and can be in the fridge for anyone who needs a quick snack or light meal.


Tiny beach in a bottle vial necklace


Where else can we find you?

Well if you happen to be visiting the islands you can find me a the Local Artist Showcase Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Four Seasons at Manele Bay.

I also have a Facebook page, which features many of my other items that have sold or sample designs that may not be on Etsy:
www.facebook.com/pages/Mind-of-Ash-Designs/157920334274239

I also have a Pinterest Page that I post new listings and love to re pin other inspiring designs:
pinterest.com/mindofash/

If you have any further questions you can always email me too at: MindofAsh@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, your "howdy's" and "hello's"...thank you for following and I appreciate your comments.