Friday, March 16, 2012

Fun Friday For the Birds...and Possibly the Squirrels

I recently purchased some bird seed bells to put out on our back deck...after 3 days they are gone. I am assuming the squirrels pulled them down...or possibly possums...or maybe even a racoon. So.....I am off to buy more, but I thought it might be great to have the kids and I make some bird seed wreaths this weekend.

HOMEMADE BIRD WREATH from Under the Table and Dreaming by Stephanie Lynn


Simply by combining a bag of mixed bird seed and gelatin, you can create fun shaped and bird safe snacks by molding them into shaped cake pans.


Please check out Under the Table and Dreaming for complete step by step directions and great pictures!

HOMEMADE SUET CAKES by Chiot's Run


1 1/2 pound of beef tallow or lard (preferable organic & pastured)
2 cups birdseed mix
2 cups black oil sunflower seeds
2 cups organic whole grain flour
1 cup dried fruit or peanuts (I used dried cherries from my bounty this past summer)

Mix all seed and flour in large mixing bowl while melting tallow or lard in a skillet over low heat. When tallow is melted, mix in with birdseed. If tallow thickens too quickly place entire bowl in a warm oven until melted again. If your house it cold it would be beneficial to warm birdseed mix and bowl in oven before adding melted tallow. Pour into 9 x 13 pan lined with a sheet of parchment paper. Let cool for a few hours. Cut into 6 squares, which fit perfectly into a regular suet feeder.

And you could use cookie cutter shapes to make fun, child inspired ones by the kids!


2 comments:

I love to hear your thoughts, your "howdy's" and "hello's"...thank you for following and I appreciate your comments.