Sunday, June 3, 2012

Salutations Sunday with Charmingknits

Shout out your salutations for Samantha and her Etsy shop Charmingknits

A shop filled with creative and "charming" handmade knit items, Samantha offers wonderful gift ideas for cooler weather and cute hand knit stuffed toys for the children in your life!

Now let's discover Samantha and Charmingknits

What is the first creative memory you have?

My first creative memory has to be around the age seven and eight. The "easter bunny" had brought me a scane of yarn and a pair of wooden needles. Thats when I learned how to knit. I never did create anything of substance out of that scane, the needles long since broken and forgotten...but thats when I started imagining all the things I wished to knit one day.

What or whom began your creative journey on Etsy?

My aunt mentioned to my mother about putting my creations on etsy. My family was up their ears in knitted items and I am sure my friends were tired of receiving them as gifts. So it seemed like a good outlet for me. Even if no one bought anything my projects had a place to go.

How did you come up with your shop name?

When I think of knitting images of comfort and warmth come to mind. I wrote a few names out with the synonms for comfort but none of them fit. Then I remembered what someone had called one of my items. They said that, "It was charming." Charmingknits was born from there.

Describe what creations you have in your shop?

90% of my shop is knitted items. Most of them are finished projects, but if someone has bought one of my projects I will relist is as a made to order item. This allows people to choose what to buy from a range of all things I can make. The other 10% of the items in my shop are random creative projects I make when I need a break from knitting.

What insprires you?

ALOT! Songs move me. Movies make my heartache. However, what inspires me the most are quotes. Because in a quote there is a whole range of emotions wrapped up in a small amount of sentences. It just leaves you awed.

What do you listen to or watch while creating?

I am addicted to watching HULU while I create. I catch up on my tv shows, watch oldies long since cancelled, and an odd movie here and there.

Please share a favorite recipe

Its so southern of me, but I love country gravy. Once you get the hang of it, making it from scratch is literally the easiest thing ever.

Take some grease (about 2 tablespoons) and put it in a skillet. (Now I prefer to use some butter and a little bit of olive oil. If you use grease make sure the meat was not burned in the pan otherwise your gravy will have a burnt taste to it.)
When the grease is heating up put in some flour. I eye ball it, but I believe its around two table spoons as well.
Once the flour has been absorbed by the grease add a cup of milk doesn't matter what kind (or half a cup of milk and half a cup of water if you are wanting to watch calories)
Bring to a boil
Then turn down to a simmer stirring the whole time.
The heat will activate the flour and within a few minutes the gravy should thicken up. Salt and pepper to taste.

Where else can we find you?


Now please visit Charmingknits on Etsy and come back and tell us what your favorite item is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, your "howdy's" and "hello's"...thank you for following and I appreciate your comments.